Authorised Representative / UK Responsible Person (Electrical & Low Voltage Equipment)
Manufacturers of electrical equipment would usually have to comply with the EU Low Voltage Directive or the UK Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016.
It is also likely that one or more of the other directives and regulations relating to electrical will also apply.
- Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)
- Radio equipment (RE)
- Restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances (RoHS)
- General Product Safety (GPSD)
- Machinery Directive
If a manufacturer is from outside the EU or UK, then the manufacturer may appoint a European Authorized Representative such as International Associates Limited to complete the mandatory tasks.
Authorised representative responsibilities
The Authorised Representative or Responsible Person is required to carry out the tasks defines within Article 7 of the Directive, this includes:
- Keep the EU declaration of conformity and the technical documentation at the disposal of national market surveillance authorities for 10 years after the electrical equipment has been placed on the market;
- Further to a reasoned request from a competent national authority, provide that authority with all the information and documentation necessary to demonstrate the conformity of electrical equipment;
- Cooperate with the competent national authorities, at their request, on any action taken to eliminate the risks posed by electrical equipment covered by the authorised represen¬tative’s mandate
Guidance on the regulations for the UK and Northern Ireland can be found here
And guidance for the EU can be found here
Changing your Authorised Representative.
Changing your Authorised Representative is a fairly straightforward process. First of all, this change should appear in the agreement between the manufacturer and the Authorized Representative (Outgoing and incoming).
To be compliant, the manufacturer should address the following aspects:
The date of termination of the outgoing Authorized Representative and the date of start of the incoming one.
The date until which the manufacturer can show the outgoing AR on the information or promotional material.
The transfer of documents, including confidentiality aspects and property rights
The obligation to the outgoing Authorized Representative to send to the manufacturer or incoming Authorized Representative, any complaints or reports from users about suspected incidents related to the product.